Frequently asked questions about claims:

1. Will my claim be covered?

It will depend on a number of factors: what coverages are included in your policy, the cause of loss or damage, and what property was lost or damaged are a few of the things that will be considered. Your agent and claims adjuster will help you review your policy to determine if your claim will be covered.

2. Can I choose who will do repairs to my property?

Yes, you should choose the contractor who completes your repairs.

3. How should I choose a contractor?

We suggest that you seek contractors who are local, reputable and have a proven track record for good workmanship. To help ensure that you choose a reliable contractor:

– Talk with friends, neighbors and relatives who have hired contractors in the past.
– Ask your local lumberyard for a list of contractors.
– Get references from any contractor you interview and check them.
– Don’t sign a contract until you have reviewed it carefully and have agreed to payment terms.

4. Will repairs be done properly and workmanship guaranteed?

By choosing your own contractor, you manage their work and ensure that the repairs are completed to your satisfaction.

5. Do I ever need to file a police/sheriff report?

Yes, notify the police or sheriff as soon as practicable in case of loss by theft, vandalism or malicious mischief.

6. My home was damaged by a flood. Is the damage covered by my policy?

Our policies do not cover flood damage. If you purchased a separate flood insurance policy from the National Flood Insurance Program, the damages may be covered. Please speak with your agent to obtain more information.

7. Because of the damage, my home isn’t fit to live in. What do I do?

Your safety is very important to us! If you purchased additional living expenses coverage as part of your policy, and a covered loss makes your home not fit to live in, your policy will cover any necessary increase in living expenses incurred by you to maintain your normal standard of living. However, some restrictions and limitations apply.

8. Should I start making repairs before you inspect the damage?

We know you are eager to start putting your home back together, but it’s best to wait until we have conducted our first on-site inspection. At the very least, speak with your claims adjuster first. What you should do is protect your property from further damage. For example, cover any broken windows, gaps in the roof or openings in exterior walls. In doing this, we can identify all the damages that may be covered by your policy making sure you receive everything you are entitled to.

9. What if my contractor finds additional damage once repair work has started?

Contact your claims adjuster and report the additional damage. We will review the claim or re-inspect to determine whether the damage is covered by your policy.

10. Why is my settlement check made payable to both me and my mortgage company? How do I get it endorsed so I can cash it to pay for repairs?

When you have a mortgage on your damaged property, settlement checks typically are made payable to both you and your mortgagee, as required by the mortgagee. You will need to contact your mortgage company to find out how to obtain their endorsement on the check.

11. Is there a deductible that will apply to my claim?

Yes, your policy has a deductible, but the amount can vary. Your agent or claims adjuster will discuss this with you. In most cases, you will need to make a payment equal to the amount of your deductible directly to your contractor.